March 31, 2013

Soulard Farmer's Market - St. Louis, MO

While spending time in St. Louis over the Easter weekend, I visited the historic Soulard Farmer's Market just south of downtown. There's been a continuous market at this location since 1779, one of the oldest in the United States.   It has an indoor main hall with 4 open air wings filled with produce, meats, live animals, spices and various crafts.  The best way to browse the market is to drop by Julia's Market Cafe and pick up her Bloody Mary, voted the Best Bloody Mary in the 2012 River Front Times poll.  If you don't like a spicy, ask the happy drink mixers to hold the spicy sprinkle finisher. 

While hanging out in the main hall I was drawn to the bedazzeled hat of this gentleman on the left. His name is Professor Mitch Wadley and his friend is Keith Carroll both musicians who play outside the market. Professor Wadley told me that he played bass for George Clinton back in the day. They were more than happy to let me photograph them and then proceeded to ask me for some monetary help.  I didn't give them any money, but I did send them some prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before being posted.